- Foundations of neurons, glia and the action potential
- The structure and organization of the nervous system
- The cerebral cortex
- The visual system
- The vestibular system
- The somatosensory system
- Spinal control of movement
- Brain control of movement
- The purpose of the brain
- Autonomic assessments
- What does the brain need?
- Brain health and performance
- Cranial nerves and the cerebellum
- The implications of the insula
- Testing and assessing reflexes and locomotion
- Lobes of the brain and hemispherisity
- Integrative models of elite performance
- Case studies
The following three textbooks are fundamental for the Carrick Institute Human Performance program as they cover the basics of human physiology.
McArdle WD, Katch FI, Katch VL. Exercise Physiology: Nutrition, Energy, and Human Performance 8th edition. Wolters Kluver 2014
- This textbook provides a comprehensive view of the systems in the body during exercise. All topics from module 2, 3, and 4 are covered in this textbook.
Bear MF, Conners B, Paradiso M. Neuroscience – Exploring the Brain 4th edition. Wolters Kluwer 2016
- This textbook provides a comprehensive description of the structure and function of the brain and nervous system. All topics from module 5 are covered in this textbook.
Enoka RM. Neuromechanics of Human Movement 5th edition. Human Kinetics 2015.
- Building on the fundamentals, this textbook provides an in-depth look at neural and biomechanical control of human movement. It is a great addition to the works of McArdle, Katch and Katch, and Bear, Conners and Paradiso.
Note: For each flipped classroom lesson, there will be select research papers included for discussion or as supplemental material.
Continuing Education (CE) –
This module is approved for DC CEUs in the following States:
Florida, Oregon, Mississippi, Tennessee, Missouri, Montana, Indiana, Washington, Delaware, Utah, Massachusetts, Colorado, and Connecticut.
Apply for CE:
If you are in need of continuing education hours for one of the states above OR a state not listed, please fill out a CE request with the link below. Please note many states require the applications to be sent in 90 days in advance.
September 13, 2019
9:00 AM - 6:00 PM
September 14, 2019
9:00 AM - 6:00 PM
September 15, 2019
9:00 AM - 3:00 PM
Venue: TBA - Denmark, Europe