In this module learn how to develop strength, power and how the brain affects biomechanics.
Imagine having the gift to be able to assess an athlete and know exactly how to unlock more strength and power out of their performance. Better yet, imagine how the game changes when you know what your athlete actually needs, is it strength or power? What if you can see the interplay between neurology and sports biomechanics, being able to create strategies that can often yield instantaneous results for your athlete?
In this module, learn at a Master’s level, strategies to assess an athlete’s current strength and power capability, and then create a customized approach to maximize their potential. Create brain-based applications that increase an athlete’s biomechanical efficiency to yield blazing fast results. Learn from the experience that the research and evidence teaches you and then work in a new paradigm where neurology and biomechanics govern your performance, and you can control it all.
Welcome to 501: Strength, Power and Neuro-Biomechanics. The game is about to change, and with us on your team.. you win!
This course comprises of 2 parts, an online flipped classroom and live training component.
In this 45-hour flipped classroom and 25-hour live training module the following topics are covered:
- Introduction to biomechanics
- Principles, laws, and models
- Tension of muscle tissue
- Regulation of muscle force
- Structure and function of skeletal muscle
- Muscle fiber types, orientation, and the cross-bridge cycle
- Neuromotor system organization
- Nerve supply to muscle
- Functional characteristics of motor units
- Receptors in muscles, joints, and tendons
- The endocrine system and physical activity
- Development and measurement of muscle performance parameters
- The stress of resistance training
- Detraining and periodization basics
- The neural link to performance adaptations
- Motor learning theory
- The biomechanics of efficient movement – Learn how to leverage neuro-biomechanics to make ANY movement easier than ever before!
- The basics of assessing – Learn to perform athletic diagnostics and reduce the learning curve of your athlete.
- Key strength, power, hypertrophy, and endurance testing methods – Testing provides data and data help you make better decisions so you don’t waste any time in the gym.
- Asymmetrical, Opposing and Unilateral movements – This paradigm shift gives you the building blocks required to interact with your surroundings efficiently and drastically reduce the chance of injury.
- Integrated movements and muscle actions – Coordination, timing, and sequencing. The brain outputs that separate the best from the mediocre!
- Velocity-based training – Learn how to develop the skill and capacity to move with effortless power by leveraging distinct neurological phenomena of the human body.
- Updated Occlusion training – Taking a scientific shortcut to body-armor building (aka hypertrophy) without overloading your CNS!
- Vector-based strength and power training – How to use physics to prepare the body for the real world and athletics.
- Imperfection training – How good are you when circumstances are NOT ideal? Can you handle being loaded with speed and off-balance? Imperfection training was coined by the late Dr. Mel Siff and prepares the athlete for the unexpected and potentially dangerous – become anti-fragile!
- Updated Plyometrics – Reframing a misunderstood training modality from a neuro-perspective.
- New Flexibility Concepts – To stretch or not to stretch? Learn what science says and understand the difference between flexibility, mobility and motor control.
- Focus and visualization – Breaking the mental barrier and winning the internal fight.
- Recovery and the limiting factors of muscular development – Learn the limitations of the human body to manipulate them in your favor. Proper recovery tactics and fatigue management are key!
The following three textbooks are fundamental for the Carrick Institute Human Performance program as they cover the basics of human physiology.
McArdle WD, Katch FI, Katch VL. Exercise Physiology: Nutrition, Energy, and Human Performance 8th edition. Wolters Kluver 2014
- This textbook provides a comprehensive view of the systems in the body during exercise. All topics from module 2, 3, and 4 are covered in this textbook.
Bear MF, Conners B, Paradiso M. Neuroscience – Exploring the Brain 4th edition. Wolters Kluwer 2016
- This textbook provides a comprehensive description of the structure and function of the brain and nervous system. All topics from module 5 are covered in this textbook.
Enoka RM. Neuromechanics of Human Movement 5th edition. Human Kinetics 2015.
- Building on the fundamentals, this textbook provides an in-depth look at neural and biomechanical control of human movement. It is a great addition to the works of McArdle, Katch and Katch, and Bear, Conners and Paradiso.
Note: For each flipped classroom lesson, there will be select research papers included for discussion or as supplemental material.
Continuing Education (CE) –
This module is approved for DC CEUs in the following States:
Georgia, North Carolina, Minnesota, Florida, Oregon, Mississippi, Tennessee, Missouri, Montana, Indiana, Washington, Delaware, Utah, Massachusetts, Colorado, and Connecticut.
NSCA: 2.0 CEUs in Category A.
PTA Global: 24.0 CECs for the whole program
Apply for CE:
If you are in need of continuing education hours for one of the states above OR a state not listed, please fill out a CE request with the link below. Please note many states require the applications to be sent in 90 days in advance.
August 24, 2018
9:00 AM - 6:00 PM
August 25, 2018
9:00 AM - 6:00 PM
August 26, 2018
9:00 AM - 3:00 PM
Venue Phone: 1-321-868-6464
Venue Website: https://secure3.hilton.com/en_US/hw/reservation/book.htm?inputModule=HOTEL&ctyhocn=MLBCBHW&spec_plan=CHWCIN&arrival=20180101&departure=20181231&cid=OM,WW,HILTONLINK,EN,DirectLink&fromId=HILTONLINKDIRECTAddress:
Carrick Institute: 8910 Astronaut Blvd, Cape Canaveral, FL 32920
Hotel of Choice:
Homewood Suites by Hilton 9000 Astronaut Blvd Cape Canaveral, FL 32920 1-321-868-1841
Carrick Institute Corporate Room Rates: Studio suite: 1 king bed $139 Studio suite: 2 queens $149 1 Bedroom suite: 1 king bed $159
Simply copy and paste the URL below into your browser to access the exclusive rates available for this group:
Booking Link: https://secure3.hilton.com/en_US/hw/reservation/book.htm?inputModule=HOTEL&ctyhocn=MLBCBHW&spec_plan=CHWCIN&arrival=20180101&departure=20181231&cid=OM,WW,HILTONLINK,EN,DirectLink&fromId=HILTONLINKDIRECT
Hotel: Homewood Suites by Hilton Cape Canaveral-Cocoa Beach Company Name: Carrick InstitutePlease note, the entire URL must be copied and pasted for it to work properly. Please share this link with anyone who needs to book Carrick Institute rates.
Homewood Suites by Hilton® Cape Canaveral-Cocoa Beach is ideally located just nine miles from I-95, and within one mile of Port Canaveral Cruise Port. We are also just minutes away from Cocoa Beach Florida and Kennedy Space Center. NASA, BOEING, and Lockheed Martin are just a few of the major companies located only moments from our front door.Homewood Suites by Hilton® Cape Canaveral-Cocoa Beach is ideally located just nine miles from I-95, and within one mile of Port Canaveral Cruise Port. We are also just minutes away from Cocoa Beach Florida and Kennedy Space Center. NASA, BOEING, and Lockheed Martin are just a few of the major companies located only moments from our front door. Feel at home in a spacious studio or one bedroom suite at this extended-stay hotel in Cape Canaveral. Relax in the separate living area, get to work at the ergonomic desk, and cook in the kitchen; complete with full-sized refrigerator, microwave and two burner stove. Stay connected with free WiFi, and watch movies on the 43-inch TV. Accessible suites are also available for guests that require additional space and amenities. Every morning, enjoy a complimentary hot full breakfast, and after a busy day, relax at our complimentary evening social*, Monday - Thursday. Enjoy fantastic amenities at this all-suite hotel in Cape Canaveral, including an outdoor swimming pool, a modern fitness center, and a 24-hour business center. Stock up on drinks, snacks and toiletries in our 24-hour Suite Shop, or take advantage of our complimentary grocery delivery service. Make sure you don’t run out of clean clothes during your stay with our onsite laundry facilities. Hold a small gathering or business event with a modern board room, a meeting room and contemporary A/V technology.