Cardio training. One of the most misunderstood aspects of human performance enhancement. Is running the best cardio training? Maybe its 200 burpees in 20 minutes? Why did you train all that cardio and still gas out when it came down to pull away from the pack?
You have questions.. we have the answers. Learn the most modern and effective methods to assess and train the cardiovascular and pulmonary systems! Learn all the CVP physiology and the tricks and tools to take the breaks of your performance. Learn how the neurology integrates into your cardiovascular output so you can manipulate the interplay between brain and endurance. No fluff, no guessing, just the in the trenches tools you need.
They are going to watch your athletes cross the finish line and wonder what happened… Tell them next year. For now, enjoy your victory lap.
This course comprises of 2 parts, an online flipped classroom and live training component.
In this 45-hour flipped classroom and 25-hour live training module the following topics are covered:
- The structure and function of the pulmonary system
- Gas exchange and transport
- Regulation of pulmonary ventilation
- Acid-base regulation
- The structure and function of the cardiovascular system
- At altitude
- Training the cardiovascular system
- Thermoregulation and acclimatization
- The purpose of the cardiovascular system – Learn what the heart does, how it adapts and how training it benefits your overall health, your brain and supercharges your muscles to do more work.
- Heart morphology and the athlete’s heart – The heart changes with exercise. Make sure the change you are getting is the change you want.
- What is cardio really? – Learn the difference between lifting weights and rowing a 2k. They both make you breathe hard but they provide very different stimuli. Learn to do it right and you will crush any obstacle with a heart of elastic steel.
- Oxygen uptake and the gold standard of cardiovascular health – Learn what the maximal oxygen uptake (VO2max) is and how you can use it to make better training decisions.
- Aerobic and anaerobic training and testing – What gets measured, gets improved. Learn how to test and interpret the results for continuous progress!
- Running, rowing, cycling, cross-country skiing – Learn the differences and commonalities between the classic cardio exercises.
- Cardiovascular training and the effect on the brain – Learn techniques to improve other aspects of your physiology through cardio training.
- Calculating energy expenditure and the 1200Cal/hr workout – Learn to cut through the BS with a proper understanding of energy expenditure when someone claims that they burned 1200 calories in an hour of (insert any activity here)
- Efficiency and the functional threshold – Learn to train at the functional threshold to develop the stamina of a racehorse. More is not always better!
- Cardiovascular assessments – Learn to evaluate your client’s cardiovascular system for continuous health and progress.
- Monitoring the training effect – Learn to track the training effect and when to make adjustments in the training plan.
- Breathing for stamina – Learn to take advantage of the neurology of breathing to overcome barriers in stamina.
- Fatigue, tolerance and recovery ability – Learn to manage fatigue, increase your tolerance and boost your recovery with the proper ratios of different training stimuli.
- Limiting factors of cardiovascular adaptations – Know the limitations of the human body to manipulate them in your favor. Proper recovery tactics and fatigue management are key!
- Cardio Zen: a key component of endurance – Learn to get in “the zone” for cardio.. on command!
- Designing effective cardiovascular training programs – Proper planning and execution secures victory. Learn the most robust scientific methods for designing cardiovascular training programs, a necessary part of a complete athlete!
The following three textbooks are fundamental for the Carrick Institute Human Performance program as they cover the basics of human physiology.
McArdle WD, Katch FI, Katch VL. Exercise Physiology: Nutrition, Energy, and Human Performance 8th edition. Wolters Kluver 2014
- This textbook provides a comprehensive view of the systems in the body during exercise. All topics from module 2, 3, and 4 are covered in this textbook.
Bear MF, Conners B, Paradiso M. Neuroscience – Exploring the Brain 4th edition. Wolters Kluwer 2016
- This textbook provides a comprehensive description of the structure and function of the brain and nervous system. All topics from module 5 are covered in this textbook.
Enoka RM. Neuromechanics of Human Movement 5th edition. Human Kinetics 2015.
- Building on the fundamentals, this textbook provides an in-depth look at neural and biomechanical control of human movement. It is a great addition to the works of McArdle, Katch and Katch, and Bear, Conners and Paradiso.
Note: For each flipped classroom lesson, there will be select research papers included for discussion or as supplemental material.
Continuing Education (CE) –
This module is approved for DC CEUs in the following States:
Minnesota, Florida, Oregon, Mississippi, Tennessee, Missouri, Montana, Indiana, Washington, Delaware, Utah, Massachusetts, Colorado, and Connecticut.
NSCA: 2.0 CEUs in Category A.
PTA Global: 24.0 CECs for the whole program
Apply for CE:
If you are in need of continuing education hours for one of the states above OR a state not listed, please fill out a CE request with the link below. Please note many states require the applications to be sent in 90 days in advance.
January 18, 2019
9:00 AM - 6:00 PM
January 19, 2019
9:00 AM - 6:00 PM
January 20, 2019
9:00 AM - 3:00 PM
Venue Phone: 1-321-868-6464
Venue Website: https://secure3.hilton.com/en_US/hw/reservation/book.htm?inputModule=HOTEL&ctyhocn=MLBCBHW&spec_plan=CHWCIN&arrival=20180101&departure=20181231&cid=OM,WW,HILTONLINK,EN,DirectLink&fromId=HILTONLINKDIRECTAddress:
Carrick Institute: 8910 Astronaut Blvd, Cape Canaveral, FL 32920
Hotel of Choice:
Homewood Suites by Hilton 9000 Astronaut Blvd Cape Canaveral, FL 32920 1-321-868-1841
Carrick Institute Corporate Room Rates: Studio suite: 1 king bed $139 Studio suite: 2 queens $149 1 Bedroom suite: 1 king bed $159
Simply copy and paste the URL below into your browser to access the exclusive rates available for this group:
Booking Link: https://secure3.hilton.com/en_US/hw/reservation/book.htm?inputModule=HOTEL&ctyhocn=MLBCBHW&spec_plan=CHWCIN&arrival=20180101&departure=20181231&cid=OM,WW,HILTONLINK,EN,DirectLink&fromId=HILTONLINKDIRECT
Hotel: Homewood Suites by Hilton Cape Canaveral-Cocoa Beach Company Name: Carrick InstitutePlease note, the entire URL must be copied and pasted for it to work properly. Please share this link with anyone who needs to book Carrick Institute rates.
Homewood Suites by Hilton® Cape Canaveral-Cocoa Beach is ideally located just nine miles from I-95, and within one mile of Port Canaveral Cruise Port. We are also just minutes away from Cocoa Beach Florida and Kennedy Space Center. NASA, BOEING, and Lockheed Martin are just a few of the major companies located only moments from our front door.Homewood Suites by Hilton® Cape Canaveral-Cocoa Beach is ideally located just nine miles from I-95, and within one mile of Port Canaveral Cruise Port. We are also just minutes away from Cocoa Beach Florida and Kennedy Space Center. NASA, BOEING, and Lockheed Martin are just a few of the major companies located only moments from our front door. Feel at home in a spacious studio or one bedroom suite at this extended-stay hotel in Cape Canaveral. Relax in the separate living area, get to work at the ergonomic desk, and cook in the kitchen; complete with full-sized refrigerator, microwave and two burner stove. Stay connected with free WiFi, and watch movies on the 43-inch TV. Accessible suites are also available for guests that require additional space and amenities. Every morning, enjoy a complimentary hot full breakfast, and after a busy day, relax at our complimentary evening social*, Monday - Thursday. Enjoy fantastic amenities at this all-suite hotel in Cape Canaveral, including an outdoor swimming pool, a modern fitness center, and a 24-hour business center. Stock up on drinks, snacks and toiletries in our 24-hour Suite Shop, or take advantage of our complimentary grocery delivery service. Make sure you don’t run out of clean clothes during your stay with our onsite laundry facilities. Hold a small gathering or business event with a modern board room, a meeting room and contemporary A/V technology.