Clinical Applications of Eye Movements for Healthcare Professionals
The following states have been approved for 25 DC, CEU hours; Florida, Tennessee, Missouri, Montana, Indiana, Washington, Delaware, Utah, Massachusetts, Minnesota and Georgia.
Instructor: Frederick R Carrick
This 25 hour clinical program is a comprehensive overview of the brain and eye movements highlighting hands on examination and treatment protocols. A mastery of clinical examination procedures to quantify brain function and eye movements is necessary in the treatment of traumatic brain injuries and neurodegenerative diseases. Our participants will be trained to this level of mastery after completion of this course.
Who is this class for?
This program is designed for healthcare professionals that attend patients with neurological injury and disease. It is of special interest to those clinicians that attend patients who have suffered sports concussions as well as neurodegenerative diseases. Eye movements are validated biomarkers that are utilized in an evidence-based contemporary practice. Our program is specific for the clinical needs of the modern healthcare practitioner. As such, it is a hands-on program that trains the participant to perform and interpret bedside examinations of patients without the need of sophisticated instrumentation or technology. More so, it provides the clinician with the skills necessary to develop evidence-based treatments for those patients who have suffered brain injuries and neurodegenerative disorders.
Benefits for Learners
Our scholars benefit from an advanced pedagogical methodology that promotes mastery of the clinical subject material. Participants will be involved in hands on examination and interpretation of eye movements. Further, they will be trained in the development of treatment paradigms specific to the clinical findings that they observe. They will be instructed in the design and creation of a clinical practice that might utilize these skills. Participants will receive a copy of the live-class via on-demand for one year, and 3 months of unlimited access to Medline.
We utilize a clinical flipped classroom where participants will have reading and study materials sent to them before the class begins. They will be able to familiarize themselves with the material and complete the necessary requirements that will allow them a superior educational experience.
We want our participants to develop lifelong learning skills and mastery of their clinical applications. Participants in our program will receive a continuous follow-up of training that is delivered to their smart phone, tablets, or computer after they have completed the program at no additional cost.
All participants are given access to the Carrick Institute library and Medline access. They will have direct access to published scientific papers that will complement their learning and increase their clinical skills.
How do I attend?
Participants can attend our program at the Carrick Institute learning Center in Cape Canaveral or by a synchronous live video streaming at a location of their choice. Our institutional technology guarantees a high definition interactive participation for those clinicians who choose to attend our program at a distance.
Why Carrick Institute
The Carrick Institute has provided clinical graduate school education for healthcare professionals for four decades. Our faculty are experienced clinician educators that have an international reputation for excellence. Our course instructor is recognized throughout the world for his clinical applications in this knowledge area. Professional athletes, Olympians, Collegiate athletes, celebrities and more call on him from around the world when they have suffered brain injury or neurological compromise. His work is the award-winning subject of a PBS documentary and he is been featured in major television and newspaper articles for decades.
What are participants will learn
- Examination of brain function
- Examination of voluntary and reflexogenic eye movements
- Examination of the visual striate cortex
- Examination of the medial superior temporal and middle temporal areas
- Examination of the frontal cortex
- Examination of the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex
- Examination of frontal eye fields
- Examination of supplementary high fields
- Examination of the superior colliculus
- Examination of the Pontine para-medial reticular formation
- Development of clinical treatments associated with disorders of the brain
These examination procedures promote localization and differential diagnoses of the nervous system.
Mastery of clinical procedures involving eye movements
- Saccade test
- Antisaccadic test
- Head and eye saccades
- Visual pursuits
- Reflexogenic by movement tests
- Volitional eye movement tests
- Vestibular tests
- Gaze fixation tests
- Optokinetic tests
Mastery of the understanding of the descending pathways involved in eye movements and their clinical applications
- Examination procedures that are specific to quantified the functional connections between the brain and brainstem
- Examination procedures that are specific for the Neostriata and basal ganglia
- Examination procedures that are specific for the subthalamic nucleus
- Examination procedures that are specific to the integration of major structures that projec to brainstem saccadic generators
- Examination procedures that are specific to the classification of fast and slow eye movements
- Diagnostic interpretation of pathology of functional eye movements
Brain function and the smooth pursuit system
- Examination procedures to identify function of the descending smooth pursuit pathway
- Examination procedures to identify the integration of cortical, subcortical and cerebellar influences to smooth pursuit function
- Interpretation of clinical signs specific to anatomical localization and neurophysiological function of the nervous system
- Understanding the functional deficits and compensation of specific lesions in the brain, basal ganglia, thalamus, cerebellum, brainstem and spinal cord and the development of treatment therapies specific to identified lesions
- Examination procedures that can identify pathology of function versus ablative pathology of smooth pursuit systems.
- Examination procedures specific to vestibular integration and eye movements
Clinical skills associated with vergence eye movements
- Clinical examination procedures of near and far visual perception
- Clinical treatment applications using environmental stimuli to affect vergence eye movements
- Clinical examination procedures specific to the midbrain
- Clinical examination procedures specific to the pons
- Clinical examination procedures specific to the cerebellum
Understanding the extraocular motor system
- Clinical examinations to quantified the pulse – step of neural integration
- Clinical examinations to measure pulse – step mismatches
- Clinical examinations to quantify the integrity of the brainstem generator
- Clinical examinations to quantify saccadic latency, velocity, duration and accuracy
The development of therapeutic treatment interventions
- Rubrics to assist in treatment development
- How to create a therapeutic practice
- How to increase beneficial clinical outcomes
- How to decrease failed clinical outcomes
Those who register for this event will given access to:
- A comprehensive flipped classroom learning portal to prepare you for the 3-day seminar
- Interactive class training format, accessible onsite and via distance learning.
- 3 days of lecture and hands-on learning with Prof. Carrick, known as the father of functional neurology
- Note pack of the event that is emailed after class
- Qstream – you will be enrolled in a special program designed to aid your retention of class materials.
- and a few extra surprises that we cannot wait to show you!
November 10, 2017
9:00 AM - 6:00 PM
November 11, 2017
9:00 AM - 6:00 PM
November 12, 2017
9:00 AM - 3:00 PM
Venue Phone: 1-321-868-6464
Venue Website: https://secure3.hilton.com/en_US/hw/reservation/book.htm?inputModule=HOTEL&ctyhocn=MLBCBHW&spec_plan=CHWCIN&arrival=20180101&departure=20181231&cid=OM,WW,HILTONLINK,EN,DirectLink&fromId=HILTONLINKDIRECTAddress:
Carrick Institute: 8910 Astronaut Blvd, Cape Canaveral, FL 32920
Hotel of Choice:
Homewood Suites by Hilton 9000 Astronaut Blvd Cape Canaveral, FL 32920 1-321-868-1841
Carrick Institute Corporate Room Rates: Studio suite: 1 king bed $139 Studio suite: 2 queens $149 1 Bedroom suite: 1 king bed $159
Simply copy and paste the URL below into your browser to access the exclusive rates available for this group:
Booking Link: https://secure3.hilton.com/en_US/hw/reservation/book.htm?inputModule=HOTEL&ctyhocn=MLBCBHW&spec_plan=CHWCIN&arrival=20180101&departure=20181231&cid=OM,WW,HILTONLINK,EN,DirectLink&fromId=HILTONLINKDIRECT
Hotel: Homewood Suites by Hilton Cape Canaveral-Cocoa Beach Company Name: Carrick InstitutePlease note, the entire URL must be copied and pasted for it to work properly. Please share this link with anyone who needs to book Carrick Institute rates.
Homewood Suites by Hilton® Cape Canaveral-Cocoa Beach is ideally located just nine miles from I-95, and within one mile of Port Canaveral Cruise Port. We are also just minutes away from Cocoa Beach Florida and Kennedy Space Center. NASA, BOEING, and Lockheed Martin are just a few of the major companies located only moments from our front door.Homewood Suites by Hilton® Cape Canaveral-Cocoa Beach is ideally located just nine miles from I-95, and within one mile of Port Canaveral Cruise Port. We are also just minutes away from Cocoa Beach Florida and Kennedy Space Center. NASA, BOEING, and Lockheed Martin are just a few of the major companies located only moments from our front door. Feel at home in a spacious studio or one bedroom suite at this extended-stay hotel in Cape Canaveral. Relax in the separate living area, get to work at the ergonomic desk, and cook in the kitchen; complete with full-sized refrigerator, microwave and two burner stove. Stay connected with free WiFi, and watch movies on the 43-inch TV. Accessible suites are also available for guests that require additional space and amenities. Every morning, enjoy a complimentary hot full breakfast, and after a busy day, relax at our complimentary evening social*, Monday - Thursday. Enjoy fantastic amenities at this all-suite hotel in Cape Canaveral, including an outdoor swimming pool, a modern fitness center, and a 24-hour business center. Stock up on drinks, snacks and toiletries in our 24-hour Suite Shop, or take advantage of our complimentary grocery delivery service. Make sure you don’t run out of clean clothes during your stay with our onsite laundry facilities. Hold a small gathering or business event with a modern board room, a meeting room and contemporary A/V technology.