- This event has passed.
503: Metabolism and Neuro-nutritional Strategies – Cape Canaveral, FL
March 22 @ 9:00 AM - March 24 @ 9:00 AM EDT$1499 – $1999
Nutrition is another hotbed of controversy, where people with not enough research, evidence, or experience in the field are recommending diets with little validity and even less effectiveness. There is far too much misinformation being spread, making it difficult to know what to believe when looking to develop nutritional strategies for your athletes and clients.
Finally, get clarity on what nutritional & metabolic concepts you NEED TO KNOW when designing nutritional programs. Nutrition for strength or endurance? Eating for mass gains or looking to improve body composition? Want to know the inner secrets on performance enhancers? (this section alone is worth the tuition!) . Learn clinical applications of the gut-brain connection and why ignoring your client’s nervous system function could be the missing link in their progress.
Get ready, because Dr. Nelson is not holding anything back!
This course comprises of 2 parts, an online flipped classroom and live training component.
In this 45-hour flipped classroom and 25-hour live training module the following topics are covered:
- An introduction to the digestive, immune, endocrine and renal systems
- Vitamins and minerals
- Fueling your activity
- The basics of energy transfer
- Phosphate bond energy
- Energy systems and expenditure
- Energy expenditure during physical activity
- Body composition and weight control
- Principles of weight control: Diet and physical activity
- Performance Nutrition Primer – Why and How to have a massive positive impact on your athletes through nutrition.
- Glucose regulation- Learn how and when to leverage high and low glucose environments for optimum performance.
- Proteins, Fats, and Carbs in the real world – Learn a simple 4S model to understand how to use them best in your individualized program.
- Micronutrients – Get clarity around what micronutrients your athletes need to perform at their peak, and why.
- Performance enhancers – Which ones actually work based on research and which are worthless.
- Fasting Blood Glucose, Ketones, and Fuel Shifting – How are they all related and can be leveraged for body composition and performance.
- Fuel usage and exercise intensity – What is the relationship between them, how much can it vary from one athlete to the next, and find out which one serves your athlete best!
- Supplements – Learn the physiologic basis and actual research on their effects.
- Lactate – Cut through the hype and miseducation of lactate, and why you need to leverage it.
- Designing a nutrition template – Get an in-the-trenches-tested formula to create a customized nutritional strategy for your athletes. You don’t have to guess!
- Nutrition Destress – When you NEED to prioritize adaptations over performance.
- Caffeine – We love it and you need to leverage it too! Everything from doses, mechanisms and more.
- Gut-Brain Axis Implications & Applications – Understanding the power of this two-way street is commonly ignored. Learn how to master it!
- Positive Body Composition changes – Learn what are the best-proven methods to alter body composition and how to apply them in the real world from the professional athlete to the weekend warrior.
The following three textbooks are fundamental for the Carrick Institute Human Performance program as they cover the basics of human physiology.
McArdle WD, Katch FI, Katch VL. Exercise Physiology: Nutrition, Energy, and Human Performance 8th edition. Wolters Kluver 2014
- This textbook provides a comprehensive view of the systems in the body during exercise. All topics from module 2, 3, and 4 are covered in this textbook.
Bear MF, Conners B, Paradiso M. Neuroscience – Exploring the Brain 4th edition. Wolters Kluwer 2016
- This textbook provides a comprehensive description of the structure and function of the brain and nervous system. All topics from module 5 are covered in this textbook.
Enoka RM. Neuromechanics of Human Movement 5th edition. Human Kinetics 2015.
- Building on the fundamentals, this textbook provides an in-depth look at neural and biomechanical control of human movement. It is a great addition to the works of McArdle, Katch and Katch, and Bear, Conners and Paradiso.
Note: For each flipped classroom lesson, there will be select research papers included for discussion or as supplemental material.
Continuing Education (CE) Information:
Maverick Crossfit Melbourne FL
7801 Eillis Road
Melbourne, Fl 32904
MLB (Melbourne, FL)
MCO (Orlando, FL)
March 22, Friday 9:00am – 6:00pm
March 23, Saturday 9:00am – 6:00pm
March 24, Sunday 9:00am – 3:00pm