Carrick Institute Concussion/mTBI Program
The Carrick Institute concussion/mTBI program is designed to train healthcare professionals how to understand, examine and treat sports-related concussions/mTBI. This program is one of immersive integrated clinical education designed to promote mastery of the subject area and long-term learning.
Dr. Ray Pursell
Goal and Learning Outcomes
The purpose of our Concussion/mTBI program is to inform healthcare providers about the incidence, symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment of sports-related concussions and the potential for serious long-term outcomes such as dementia. Completion of this program will enable the healthcare practitioner to:
- Design and Implement a Concussion Treatment Program
- Design and conduct a brain and vestibular rehabilitation program
- Design evidence-based treatment plans
- Utilize a current evidence-based examination process to quantify brain function and human performance
- Define sports-related concussions and the sports in which they are most often found
- Describe the immediate and long-term symptoms of sports-related concussions
- Discuss expert recommendations for preventing/managing sports-related concussions
- Prepare health care professionals with advanced knowledge and skills in diagnosis and treatment of Concussion/mTBI.
Who this program is for
Our primary audience is healthcare professionals including Physical Therapists, Chiropractors, Chiropractic Neurologists, Medical Physicians, Osteopaths, Acupuncturists, Neuropsychologists, Occupational Therapists, Nurses, Athletic Trainers, Dentists, and allied health. Please contact us if you have any questions about your eligibility for this program.
Scholars Enrolled in the Concussion/mTBI Program Receive:
- LIFETIME access to the digital recording of the class
- Any future updates to the course videos or other materials
- Re-attendance for life – Retake the class on-site, via livestream or via online, self-paced learning as many times as you’d like for attendance hours.
- Access to Flipped Classroom for preparation before each module
- Q-stream for continued learning after each module
- 25 hours of lecture time within each module
- 3 Months of Unlimited Medline Access after the module
- An invitation to the private concussion/mTBI Facebook group
Professor Carrick has 40 years of clinical practice in the treatment of Concussion/mTBI. He has been described as the “Doctor to the Stars” and his pioneering work in this field has been featured on Prime Time Television, NEWS and Journals around the globe. He is sought out for Concussion/TBI treatment from Professional, Collegiate and Olympic Athletes as well as his ongoing research in the field. His experience in this knowledge area is legend as is his ability to teach difficult subject material in a fashion that promotes mastery.
Professor Carrick is a Senior Research Fellow at CCMHR in association with the University of Cambridge, UK, Professor of Neurology University of Central Florida College of Medicine, Orlando, Fl, Adjunct Professor MGH Institute of Health Professional Education, Boston, MA and Dean of Graduate Studies at the Carrick Institute, Cape Canaveral, Fl
Clinical Scholars who successfully complete this program and pass benchmark examinations given during each module will be awarded a Certificate of Completion from the Carrick Institute.
- Designing and Implementing a Concussion Treatment Program
- Overview of Concussion/TBI, Epidemiology & Consensus Updates
- Pathophysiology of Acute Concussion/mTBI and Post Concussion Syndromes
- The biomechanics of Head Injury and Concussion/mTBI
- Neurocognitive Testing
- Examination and Diagnosis of the Head Injury Patient
- Treatment of Acute and Chronic Concussion/mTBI (Return to Learn, Work, & Play)
- Neurophysiology of Concussion/mTBI and Post-Concussion Syndrome (PCS)
- Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE)
- Functional Rehabilitation Strategies
- Head Eye Vestibular Motion function and rehabilitation
- Competency in concussion management Software use
- Competency in visual system testing and eye tracking use
- Competency in Concussion/mTBI EEG and Evoked Potential Training use
This course utilizes a vibrant flipped classroom and interactive educational model. Scholars will review course materials and assignments before attending the knowledge area module. This process maximizes learning so that the scholar can dedicate time specifically to the application of the knowledge area module.
Each scholar will also have free access to Medline where they can search and download clinical and scientific papers. All of the information necessary for the course is located in the scholar’s learners portal. This private area is specific for the individual scholar and designed for maximum interaction and learning.