Ketones and Traumatic Brain Injury
Traumatic brain injury (TBI) is becoming more common and nutrition can play a large role post injury and potentially before. When a TBI occurs, the brain has to rapidly deal with two massive issues: The first is the metabolic insult via glucose metabolism going “offline” thus imparting an energy crisis. The brain loves to use glucose as its primary fuel, but after a TBI the metabolic pathways that are typically used to create energy from glucose are disrupted. The second is the potential opening of the blood brain barrier (BBB) and neuro-inflammation. An impact/ insult to the brain can cause the BBB to become more permeable and allow compounds into the brain that are normally kept out by an intact / functioning BBB. These compounds result in a much higher amount of neuro-inflammation. Nutritional strategies may combat both of these issues. In this lecture, we will discuss the role of ketones via diet and supplementation as a potential intervention.
Understanding the relationship between brain injury and nutritional interventions, especially a ketogenic diet to increase ketone bodies, allows clinicians to determine what is best for the patient and their course of therapy. Once completed, learners will have thorough understanding of the role of a ketogenic diet / ketones upon brain metabolism related to TBI and basic neurology.
Dr. Mike Nelson
Enjoy this video interview of Dr. Mike T. Nelson, as recorded by Dr. Freddys Garcia. They discuss ketones and traumatic Brain Injury.
Dr. Mike T. Nelson has a PhD in Exercise Physiology from the University of Minnesota, a MS in Mechanical Engineering (biomechanics) from Michigan Tech and a BA in Natural Science. He’s an instructor for Globe University and has published research in both physiology and engineering peer reviewed journals.
- The Ketogenic Diet
- 3 types of ketone bodies
- Metabolism of a ketogenic state in the brain and the body
- Impact of injury to the brain related to metabolism
- Metabolic fuel selection 101 from fat to ketones to carbs
- The misunderstood role of insulin
- 4S model of metabolism
- Neuro inflammation
- and More!
Included In Your Tuition
- 8 hours of training with Dr. Mike Nelson
- LIFETIME access to the digital recording of the class
- Any future updates to the course videos or other materials
- Re-attendance for life*
- 8 Neurology Hours towards the ACFN (American College of Functional Neurology) & ACNB (American Chiropractic Neurology Board) with each module
- Access to the flipped classroom with lifetime updates
- 3 months of unlimited access to Medline upon completion of the module.