Hello, Carrick Scholars!
Today we have a special video case review with Dr. Adam Harcourt! Sit back and watch as he guides you through one of his real clinical cases. This case features a 50-year-old male who suffered from migraines since he was 5 years old. Dr. Harcourt is recognized as one of the leading clinicians in the world at solving even the most complex migraine patient cases.
We hope you enjoy the presentation! If you want to see more presentations like this, let us know by reaching out to us through our contact us page.
Mastering Migraine is a program designed for those who are looking to clinical excellence in the treatment of the migraine condition. Continue reading to learn more –
This program will equip you to be one of the top clinicians in the field of migraine. Dr. Harcourt will be teaching you innovative functional neurology techniques for migraine, of which less than a handful of doctors in the world know at the moment. Migraine is the 6th most debilitating condition in the world and effects over 38 million Americans, with 4 million suffering from chronic migraine. Not only will you understand what modalities and treatments will make you extremely effective at managing migraine, you will also learn how all other practitioners are treating it in order to create a comprehensive management plan. I put this course together because we have patients DAILY from all over the world desperate for help (resorting to extreme measures) that we are unable to serve. Migraineurs are vastly underserved due to the complexity of the condition, which you will master by the end of this course.
This series is designed to make you a highly competent practitioner to treat migraine and migraine-related disorders. All material will be presented from the most current research available. Treatment and management approaches have been developed through experience gathered by the Carrick Institute & Dr. Harcourt through the management of over 900 migraine patient cases.
In 4 modules, you will learn:
- Learn what actually causes migraine and why there is a disconnect between research and clinical practice.
- Understand the difference between a migraine trigger and the root cause of a migraine.
- Learn treatment modalities that address the neurological, musculoskeletal, hormonal, and nutritional components of migraine.
- Understand which practitioners to network/co-manage with and how to bridge the gap when talking about medication withdrawal, surgical interventions, etc.
- Learn how to give hope and answers and to the millions of desperate Migraineurs across the world.
Clinicians Enrolled in the Program will Recieve:
- A flipped classroom for each module (13 credit hours each) to prepare you for the live training
- This 150-hour program consists of 4 modules (25 credit hour each)
- 1 Year of On-Demand access for each module attended
- 3 months of unlimited access to Medline upon completion of the module
This program is a complete Migraine Solution for your practice. When you attend the Mastering Migraine program will be able to integrate and implement what you have learned to effectively become the top migraine clinician in your community. You will learn to solve the migraine cases that others struggle to solve. To keep the onsite live learning high quality, we are limiting the live event training to only the first 40 doctors to register.
Migraine Neurophysiology & Clinical Manifestations
In order to effectively treat a migraine, you must understand how it neuro-physiology so you can then decide how to solve it for the patient.
- Societal impact – Costs and Epidemiology
- Clinical manifestations and progression
- Classification – Learn to recognize which type of migraine you are addressing.
- Pathophysiology – Get clarity around what aspect of their physiology needs addressing.
- Imaging – Learn the imaging you should order or need to interpret when managing the migraine patient.
- Trigeminovascular pain pathways – Get clarity on how the trigeminovascular system is involved in migraine.
- Brainstem and thalamic projections – Learn how the interplay between the brainstem and thalamus in the migraine case and what you can do about it.
- Brainstem modulation – Learn how to assess the brainstem and then perform clinical applications to improve its function.
- Hypothalamic modulation – What regulatory functions of the body need to be monitored with migraine and how do they effect your outcomes?
- Neurotransmitter systems – Learn which neurotransmitters are involved in the migraine patient and how it relates to treatment.
- Thalamic processing of trigeminovascular pain – Learn why is pain not limited to the trigeminal distribution of the face.
- Cortical processing – Learn what parts of the cortex are involved in migraine and how to assess them.
- Autonomic dysfunction – Address the discrepancies in the literature and how you can use this information to treat patients.
- Photophobia mechanisms – How does it occur and how can you help it?
- Aura & Cortical spreading depression – Are they the same? What does CSD have to do with migraine pathology?
- Genetics – Learn what factors predetermine your likelihood of migraine and how it causes different types of migraine.
Module 2 –
Migraine Building Blocks: Nutrition and Hormones
In order to effectively treat a migraine, you must understand how nutrition and hormones play a roll in the migraine condition, and how to solve those problems.
- Triggers and their role in migraine – Do triggers even exist? New research tells us why traditional wisdom may be a diversion from the actual cause.
- Nutrition & Migraine – Learn everything, including genetic components, of nutrition in migraine.
- Ketogenic, Atkins, Fasting, Vegan….what is the best diet for migraine??
- Omega 3’s and their effect on episodic migraine
- Caffeine – A harmful and helpful compound. How do we use it clinically
- B Vitamins – What are the vitamin correlates?
- Genetic base of nutrition, is there a method to the food sensitivity madness??
- Month by Month nutritional guidelines for successful migraine outcomes
- Antioxidants – Dealing with inflammatory aspects of migraine
- Sodium intake – How and when to use salt as an adjunct for treatment
- Vitamin D deficiency and migraine – What are the vitamin D correlates?
- Stress & Hormones – How does stress effect migraine? Find out how to test and interpret lab results and prescribe proper protocols.
- Menstrual related migraine – What can be done and why is it currently being done wrong
- Stress and migraine chronification – How to stop the downward spiral
- Estrogens role in migraine – Learn how the females hormones play a role in the migraine condition.
- Trigeminal alterations in menstrual migraine patients
- The effect of puberty on migraine
- Laboratory testing of stress hormones – Learn exactly what tests are worth ordering for stress hormones and which ones to skip.
- Interpretation and protocol development of HPA Axis dysfunction
Migraine Building Blocks: Musculoskeletal and Neurological
In order to effectively treat a migraine, you must understand how the musculoskeletal & nervous system play a roll in the migraine condition, and how to solve address those problems.
- Musculoskeletal components – Learn why manual therapies can be the best, or worst, treatment for migraineurs at different stages.
- Chiropractic – If and when joint manipulations would be appropriate.
- Massage – Why could massage be beneficial to the whole picture of migraine.
- Acupuncture – How does acupuncture act on the nervous system relating to migraine?
- Trigger Points – Is there a sensitization effect with migraine?
- TMS – Where and when could it be beneficial
- Surgical interventions – What types of surgical techniques are indicated for migraine, and how they can be used to manage patients long term.
- Migraine Variants – Learn how to properly treat the different types of migraine and what to look for that may have been missed.
- Vestibular – Commonly misdiagnosed, these patients suffer needlessly for years.
- Hemiplegic – Learn why clinical neuroscience is THE best treatment for this disorder
- Sleep related – Does timing of migraine change your treatment paradigm?
- Ocular – What to look for when treating these often frightening migraines.
- Neurological treatment modalities
- Which areas of the neuraxis should be examined closely
- What therapies/treatments are helpful for patients without overt functional deficits
- Concussion & Migraine – Learn how they relate and how to treat them together.
- How long after a concussion do you expect migraine to intensify
- Can concussion cause migraine by itself?
- Dizziness & Migraine – Learn why vertigo can actually be a migraine, and how to treat it properly.
Perfecting the Migraine Case
Putting it all together – This will occur throughout the 4-module series, and in this module you will learn all you need to know to effectively manage the migraine patient from patient history, intake and exits exams, in office rehab protocols and at home rehab strategies.
- Outcome measures – We will learn about current outcome measures and how to use them.
- Treatment modalities
- Medications – Learn how to manage patients and their medication with their prescribing physician. This is an art in itself!
- Botox – Pros and cons of use and how it relates to our migraine model.
- Cannabis – Learn how endocannabinoids work and why they may be a better option than many medications.
- Vestibular Rehab- Review vestibular function and how it relates to a migraine.
- Visual System Modalities – Learn a simple way to assess for dysfunction and prescribe treatments for acute and management care.
- Peripheral nerve stimulation – What it is, where, and when to use it
- Nutrition – How to coach migraine patients through the nutrition aspect, and the best way effective way to wean off of caffeine!
- Hormonal approach – We will run through many labs and interpret them so you are comfortable reading the first lab you order.
- Musculoskeletal – Learn when and where to apply manual therapies, and more importantly, when not to!
- Management of migraine patients – Training patients to understand their condition
- Live cases – Throughout the whole course we will encourage you to bring cases to help everyone’s learning process.
Who can attend Mastering Migraine?
This program can be attended by Functional Neurologists, Chiropractors, Medical doctors, Osteopaths, Naturopaths, Nutritionists, and Physical therapists, Massage therapists, etc. One must hold a current valid license as a healthcare provider to diagnose and treat a patient. Please contact us if you have any questions about your eligibility for this program.
Tuition for each module includes a 13 credit hour flipped classroom, 3 day live training course, and the on-demand recording provided for your review of the material for 1 year.
- Early-bird tuition (register more 60 days before module start): $1250 includes flipped classroom, live training and on-demand recording.
- General tuition (register less than 60 days before module start): $1450 includes flipped classroom, live training and on-demand recording.
- Pre-payment option: One can register for the entire series for at the special tuition of $4400, which includes flipped classroom, live training and on-demand recording access for 1 year. A 2-payment plan for the pre-payment option is available, please contact admissions. Payment plans must be completed by the start of the series. Use the contact us page to set up the payment plan.
Mastering Migraine Calendar
Cape Canaveral, FL & via Internet Live-stream
October 5-7, 2018
Jan 25-27, 2019
March 15-17. 2019
May 3-5, 2019
Upcoming Events › Mastering Migraine
- No matching events listed under Mastering Migraine. Please try viewing the full calendar for a complete list of events.