Presented by: Dr. David Clark
Carrick Institute is proud to bring you an exciting module in our highly rated neurochemistry series taught by Dr. David Clark, Assistant Professor of Neurochemistry! The Carrick Institute’s mission is to offer the highest quality training to assist with the best patient outcomes. Part of becoming a good diagnostician is being able to recognize different patterns in our patients and then deciding where to make an intervention to ensure the best pateint outcomes.
The number of children diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorders has exploded in the last 20 years. There are children in every community that need modern, evidence-based care that can not only lessen the core symptoms of ASD, but also encourage optimal brain development. Practitioners trained in Clinical Neurochemistry and Nutrition can play a critical role in the healthy, long-term neurodevelopment of a child diagnosed with ASD.
This three-day immersive course will provide attendees with an effective, science-based approach to improving brain function in children diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorders.
The 3-day class will address all of the following critical topics:
- Neurotypical development – you have to know normal neurodevelopment in order to recognize early warning signs of ASD.
- Understand what Autism Spectrum Disorders are and are not. You’ll cut through the myths and misconceptions about ASD and be able to speak a common language with other professionals.
- The puzzle of Autistic Spectrum Disorder symptoms—what they mean and how they can guide your testing and treatment.
- Possible causes of Autism – Knowing the possible etiologies streamlines your diagnostic and treatment approach
- Risk factors for ASD
- Genetics of ASD: How much do they matter? The answer will surprise you.
- Epigenetics and ASD: Environmental influences
- SNPs and ASD – Single Nucleotide Polymoprhisms are all the rage right now…you’ll learn which SNPs—if any—are relevant to treating a child with ASD
- Vaccines and Autism – The reality of the controversial connection between Vaccines and ASD —and how to use this knowledge to efficiently prioritize treatment in ASD
- What exactly goes wrong in Autism? Learn the spectrum of Metabolic Malfunctions and how to recognize them in your patient: Gastrointestinal, Immunological, Endocrine
- What happens in the gut happens in the brain: The Gut-Brain-Gut Axis
- Bioenergetic and Mitochondrial dysfunction – The role of ATP, free radicals, and oxidative damage.
- Barrier Permeability – Leaky gut, leaky brain, leaky sinus, leaky lung: how to detect which barriers are compromised and what to do to heal them
- Gluten and Casein Sensitivity—Both are well-established problems in ASD. You’ll understand WHY they affect brain function and how to implement the GF/CF diet effectively. The opposite viewpoint will also be discussed
- Food Sensitivities — beyond gluten and dairy. Learn which foods can negatively affect brain function
- The Fungal/Yeast/Candida problem – Understand how fungi and yeast overgrowths affect brain function, and learn how to recognize the signs & symptoms of this very common problem in ASD
- Gastrointestinal infections and Bacterial Overgrowths – learn the difference between actual SIBO (small intestine bacterial overgrowth) dsybiosis and pathogenic infections.
- Vitamin and Mineral Deficiencies and Insufficiencies
- Heavy Metal Toxicity – How many kids actually have this? Should you test? Should you treat for it?
- The role of B12, Folate, and Methylation
- The role of Autoimmunity and Immune System Dysregulation in ASD – determining the presence of this factor is critical in successful treatment of a child with ASD
- The Appropriate clinical tests to use in evaluating a child with ASD.
- You’ll learn when to order, how to order, and how to interpret the following tests:
- Blood chemistry
- Urinary Organic Acids
- Stool testing
- Food sensitivities
- Specialized testing: metals, chemicals, histamine, pyrroles
- Which ASD symptoms and behaviors reliably correlate with specific metabolic/neurochemical problems.
- The Top 4 Treatment Priorities in ASD – when you know these you’ll never get lost or confused about what to do next
- The ‘Ex Juvantibus’ Method – you’ll learn this rational and economical investigative method.
- The ASD Toolbox – you’ll have a comprehensive list of the tests, diets and supplements taught in the class that you can use as an easy reference.
- Integrated Effective Treatment Plans for managing patients with ASD. How to use specific supplementation and diets to treat and manage the wide spectrum of physiological alterations in ASD
- The most effective Diet and Supplement interventions: Dr. Clark’s 16 years of experience.
- How and When to do follow up visits and re-testing of labs (if any).
- The Long-Term vision for support of a child with ASD. Working with a child with ASD is not a short-term, acute care kind of doctor-patient relationship. The trained practitioner can be a guiding light for years in the life of a child with ASD. You’ll learn how to be that influence
- A Special Section on the PREVENTION OF ASD.
Clinicians Enrolled in this Program will Receive
- 25 hours of training with Dr. David Clark
- LIFETIME access to the digital recording of the class
- Any future updates to the course videos or other materials
- Re-attendance for life – Retake the class on-site, via livestream or via online, self-paced learning as many times as you’d like for attendance hours.
- 25 Neurology Hours towards the ACFN (American College of Functional Neurology) & ACNB (American Chiropractic Neurology Board) with each module
- Access to the flipped classroom with lifetime updates
- 3 months of unlimited access to Medline upon completion of the module
Tuition for Online, Self-Paced Learning: $1,450