“I have been in practice for 31 years. This course was so well done. It teaches you the truth of how to use nutrition to improve a patients health. It teaches you the functional conditions so solutions can be achieved. Dr. Clark is brilliant. However, he is also an amazing teacher. His passion to help you learn the material is amazing. I do not know when Dr. Clark sleeps. His research and staying current is almost frightening. I highly recommend this class to anyone who wants to learn how to help human kind improve their well being.”
Learn how to think, understand & apply neurochemistry and nutrition for their patients, rather than pathways or protocols to memorize.
Carrick Institute is proud to bring you the UPDATED Neurochemistry and Nutrition program taught by Dr. David Clark, Assistant Professor of Neurochemistry! This course has been fully updated for 2020 with current literature and clinical methods.
The Carrick Institute’s mission is to offer the highest quality training in an effort to help produce the world’s best physicians. Part of becoming a good diagnostician is being able to recognize different patterns in our patients and then deciding where to make an intervention to yield the patient the best results.
With great pride we bring you the updated Neurochemistry and Nutrition program. This series will explore the chemistry of the nervous system, how the chemical processes of the body affect brain and nervous system function, and the ways in which the brain influences the internal chemical environments.
Attendees will learn clinical nutrition treatment strategies utilizing supplements (vitamins, minerals, nutrients, botanicals) and diet. There will be a strong focus on clinical application of the material so learners can serve their patient population right away. Clinical cases are provided to illustrate core principles and facilitate mastery of the subject areas.
Benefits of the Neurochemistry and Nutrition Program
- All recommendations are based on published literature and clinical experience supporting your evidence based practice.
- No disclosures.
- Brand neutral. This program was designed to teach you exactly what will help your patients using a broad spectrum of nutriceuticals from multiple sources.
- Dr. Clark is a full-time solo practitioner, with a very successful practice who’s treatment protocols are evidence based and have been tested on the field. He has worked with a wide range of neurological, endocrine and immune system problems with consistent and reproducible results.
- Practice management – In addition to learning which protocols will help your patient best, also learn from the instructor how a true functional medicine clinic (structural care + neurological care + nutrition) is implemented as a cash practice with a logistical and methodical implementation plan that you can begin to implement into your practice right away.
- Generate another revenue stream in an ethical manner. On average, the instructor distributes $25,000/month of supplementation from various companies using protocols that genuinely help patients.
- Attendees will be taught a way to think, understand & apply neurochemistry and nutrition for their patients, rather than pathways or protocols to memorize.
- This program series will focus on natural, non-pharmacological methods that are within your scope of practice.
- Case-based learning…this is practice for the real world.
- Each module will provide actionable, implementable intake, diagnostic and treatment procedures that you can begin using immediately.
Clinical Neurochemistry & Nutrition Program Outline
In this module, scholars will learn how to connect neurochemistry with clinical neurology and will cover the following topics:
- What does a Brain do?
- Brain macro and micro-structure
- Neuron and synapse structure and physiology
- Blood-Brain Barrier
- The internal biochemical environment of the neuron – abnormal, normal and TND
- Neural Membranes
- Neuron biogenergetics
- Neurotransmission – neurotransmittters and receptors
- Disorders of the membranes, energetics, and neurotransmission
- Transneuronal degeneration
- Excitotoxicity- factors for and against
- Neurochemistry in translation — Physical, symptom and neurological examination correlates
- Clinical Conditions discussed: Epilepsies, Stroke, Pain,
- Laboratory testing and interpretation: Comp Metabolic, CBC with differential, Magnesium
The following topics will be covered in Module 2:
- ATP production – what goes wrong, what you can modulate
- Iron and Red Blood Cell Chemistry
- Blood Sugar regulation and HPA Axis physiology
- Liver and Gastrointestinal physiology
- Food sensitivities
- Methylation and its relation to Brain function
- Clinical Immune System primer
- Physical & Neurological examination correlates
- Laboratory Testing and Interpretation: HbA1c, Iron/IBC/Ferritin, B12 and Folate, Complete Thyroid Panel, Homocysteine
- Clinical Conditions Discussed: Type 2 Diabetes, Hypothyroidism, Fatigue, Anemias, Hepatic Biotransformation, Adrenal dysfunction, Antibody testing
The following topics will be covered in Module 3:
- Celiac Disease, Non-celiac gluten sensitivity and gluten-related disorders: the myths, the facts and clinical evidence
- Autonomic Nervous System – normal and disorders; dysautonomias
- Neuromuscular Junction
- Basal Ganglia
- Limbic System
- Vestibular System
- Clinical Conditions discussed: BPPV, Chronic dizziness & dysequilibrium, Anxiety, OCD, PTSD, Insomnia, POTS, Charcot-Marie-Tooth, Diabetic Polyneuropathy, Ataxias
- Laboratory testing and interpretation: Vitamin D, cardiac C-reactive protein
The following topics wil lbe covered in Module 4:
- The Immune-Neuroendocrine Network
- Clinical Immune System Review
- Cytokine Receptors and Production in the Brain
- Effects of Cytokines on Brain Function
- Effects of Immune System on Brain Neurochemistry
- Regulation of the Inflammatory Response in the Brain
- Neuroimmune Cross Talk – how the immune system influences the brain, and how the Brain influences the immune system
- Role of Glia in CNS inflammation
- Autoimmune processes in the Central Nervous System
- The inflammatory component of Neurodegeneration
- Clinical Conditions discussed: Multiple Sclerosis, Demyelinating conditions, Depression, Migraine, CRPS, TBI, Intestinal Permeability, Schizophrenia, Bipolar Disorder, Autism
The following topics will be covered in Module 5:
- Protein misfolding
- Is β amyloid really the problem?
- α synucleinopathies
- Neurofibrillary tangles
- Autophagy and mitophagy – physiology and how to induce them
- The role of the PERIPHERAL immune system
- Modifiable risk factors for Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s
- Stages of Alzheimer’s Disease
- Glutamate, Glutamine and GABA
- Gut-Brain Axis in Neuroinflammation and Neurodegeneration
- Necrosis vs. apoptosis – cell death and survival
- Mitochondrial dysfunction, excitotoxicity, mitotoxicity, oxidative stress
- Genetics of Parkinson’s , Alzheimer’s
- Diet interventions for Neuroinflammation and Neurodegeneration
- A Comprehensive Approach to Neuroinflammation & Neurodegeneration
- Clinical Conditions and Applications discussed: Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, ALS, Dementia, Encephalopathies, TBI, Autism
The following topics will be covered in Module 6:
- In this last module, we will weave all previous modules together into a robust and flexible diagnostic and treatment model utilizing what we’ve been talking about all along:
- Neurochemistry principles
- Patient History
- Physical/Neurological examination
- Lab Testing
- Diet modification
- Long-term follow up methods
- Patient Management strategies for full implementation
- This module serves as an excellent overview in preparation for the certification examination
Prepaid Tuition (register for the entire 6-module program): $4,650
Early Bird Tuition (register more 60 days before module start): $875
General tuition (register less than 60 days before module start): $1,075
Included in Your Tuition
- 150 hours of live training with Dr. David Clark
- LIFETIME access to the Recording after the Module
- Receive any future updates to the course videos or other materials
- Re-attendance for life – Retake the class on-site, livestream or via online, self-paced learning as many times as you’d like for attendance hours.
- 25 Neurology Hours towards the ACFN (American College of Functional Neurology) & ACNB (American Chiropractic Neurology Board) with each module
- Lifetime Access to the Flipped Classroom
- 3 months of unlimited access to Medline upon completion of the module
Frequently Asked Questions
– We will be recording the program in a new high-quality format for on-demand delivery. We are excited to give access to this practice changing education to learners all around the world.
You asked, we listened. The 2020 Clinical Neurochemistry and Nutrition program will be available for Livestream!
Every module is eligible for hours towards the DACNB as well as specialty hours towards the Fellow of the American Board of Neurochemistry & Nutrition (FABNN) through the ACFN.
If you would like to check for eligibility for your state or would like to apply to have your state approved for continuing education, please click here.
This program is held in Orlando, FL for the 2020-2021 series. We intend to have this program in a live format every 2-2.5 years. Until the live class returns, the program will be available for Livestream and On-Demand delivery for learners all around the world.
Dates & Location
8910 Astronaut Blvd Suite 102, Cape Canaveral, FL 32920
2020 Recommended Hotel - Homewood Suites Cape Canaveral FL
9000 Astronaut Blvd Cape Canaveral, FL 32920 | 1-321-868-1841
Group Name: Carrick Institute 2020 | Expires 30 days before each module
Homewood Suites by Hilton 2020 Savings Link